Monday, March 10, 2014

Product Hits, Workables and Fails.

Instead of doing a monthly favorites, I decided to do something a little different. February was such a short month and I had my little hiatus, it feels a favorites post would be a little silly. So, we're going to have a Product Hit, Workable and Fail post. Now, all the products mentioned whether they were a hit or a miss is my opinion. If you love any of the products that I don't, that's fine, all us aren't going to like or dislike the same things. That's what makes us unique critters after all.
Whether products are a Hit or Fail is pretty obvious to determine why. But the difference between Workables from a Hit is that Workables require something extra to make them work or is something that slightly puts me off about the product, but I'm still able to use them.

Some of these products have been featured as a full review, others have not and were reserved for this post in general. Products are going to appear in no particular order.

With that lets get started.

Anastasia Beverly Hills Beauty Genius
HIT

I wrote a review earlier this month on this little gem (Beauty Genius Review). A nice mixing medium for under 20.00USD that truly waterproofs any powder, loose pigment and glitter products. There isn't an odor to the product and some gel products just smell bad, not this one. This brand is Cruelty Free, which is always a nice way to go with cosmetics, so extra bonus points there. And it's the only mixing medium available at Ulta Beauty, at least at mine and I haven't seen any other ones available online.

Our Moment Fragrance From One Direction Sample
HIT

This was a sample fragrance call Our Moment by One Direction.The sample is long gone. I've mentioned briefly that I suffer from migraine headaches and quite often, many scents can trigger them. So I have to be extremely careful with any type of fragrance, especially perfume. I generally stay away from the perfume section of any store just to avoid any possible triggers. But, I got this as a sample in one of my Ulta Beauty Online orders and this is just amazing. I need to get a full size of this. It's a feminine scent, that's very light and not overpowering. It had a sweet, powdery smell that I couldn't quite put my finger on, but this is most definitely a hit. 

Eyelash Curlers- Brand Unknown.
HIT

These were featured in a past haul post. When I wrote that post I couldn't remember the brand, but these were a 1.00USD curiosity. And for a buck, these are a hit. They curl my lashes and if they hadn't, I wouldn't have been upset that I had paid a decent amount of money on a set of eyelash curlers. These are the first I've ever owned, but I will probably spend a little extra money on some in the future. But for now they do their job, what else can I say?

Aero Minerale Hydrating Mineral Makeup Mist in bare

FAIL

I wanted to love this product so badly. When it arrived in the mail, I was so excited to try it out. I researched this, read reviews, but darn it this is a FAIL. Firstly, this is suppose to be the fairest shade for those with pink undertones. Just no...It's way too dark for me and I didn't see where this foundation had any pink undertones. I tested this on my neck and the back of my hand, it oxidized on my skin turning me a lovely shade of orange. And this is suppose to be a hydrating foundation? Absolutely not. This stuff made me feel like I was wearing a mud mask when it's ready to take off. It felt like it was going to crack every time I moved my neck or my hand. Then on top of that was the smell. Holy mother of pearl does this smell bad, I mean, like chemicals and mold are the best ways to describe it. I even had my husband smell this to see if it was just me and he flat out asked me if I had put it on my face, because if I had, the way it smelled I better not have. This puppy is going right back to Ulta Beauty. No way is this stuff being sprayed on my entire face.

Urban Decay Ammo Palette

Workable

Another product I did a review on ( Ammo Palette Review ), which is the Ammo Palette by Urban Decay. Now in the review, I do mention that this was a gift from my husband, but I had been wanting this palette so badly, simply because I adore the packaging. Plus the shadow shades looked like something I'd use frequently. But, the glitter shades were fallout glitter pixie nightmare. I had recommended saving your money if you had been thinking about purchasing this palette.I went back to this with my Beauty Genius waterproofing gel and this helped out with the glitter pixies and the fallout in general. So, it's now a workable product, because half the shadows need the help of a mixing medium. A lovely palette, beautiful packaging and with the extra step, something I can work with. 

NARS Blush Bronzer Duo in Orgasm and Laguna

HIT

Come on, you guys knew this was going to be on this list ( NARS Blush Bronzer Duo Review ). I haven't used another blush since I bought this. Gorgeous color and the bronzer is beautiful too. Completely worth every penny I paid for this. 

Pixel Eyeliner Pen in Black
HIT

Felt pen style black liquid eyeliner by Pixel. Never heard of this brand, but I do say I'm quite impressed. It's a good black liquid liner. The felt tip is easy to use and it seems to be holding up quite well to regular use. I haven't seen any issues with it, so a hit. And for 5.99USD not bad, not bad at all.

Kiss Nail Dress
FAIL

*sigh* Remember those stick on strips by Kiss I reviewed? If not, then the review is on the blog somewhere. The point being I mentioned that they weren't too bad, but they smelled terrible. I'm revising my statement. They're bad. And these are the same thing, just in shiny new packaging. They still smell extremely horrible where I can barely stand it. At least nail polish smell goes away after it drys, not these. Nope. Just no.

Lorac Pro Palette

HIT

Much like my NARS Blush and Bronzer, you knew this was making the list as a hit. My current "go to" palette out of all the palettes I own. You can create so many diverse looks with this palette and the quality of the eyeshadows is simply amazing. Love, love, love. Can't say love enough. The full review was my last post, so no link for this one, but it should be easy to find if you're interested. 

 
Stila Lip Palette

FAIL

...A lip palette by Stila. Lip Palette, no other information whether or not it is lip "stick", lip "gloss", lip "tint" nothing. Just "Lip Palette" Look at those beautiful colors. Don't be deceived. I was excited when I got this, you know lip palette, blend colors to make custom ones, but this sadly let me down. My biggest issue with this palette is that there is NO pigmentation. These are basically lip glosses in a palette and I own lip glosses with better pigmentation than this. I've used a brush, my fingers, primed my lips and these just do not have any pigment to them. And for 16.00USD I was not happy. On top of that, they don't even last long and feel very, very oily on the lips. Not in a good hydration way either, but the way where you feel like you just kissed a fryer. This was my first purchase from Stila and I'm not impressed. This is another product that's going back to Ulta.


I'll be posting reviews here and on my tumblr, simplydarkpleasureblog.tumblr.com on the same days and time. So if you'd prefer to follow me exclusively there, then you're more than welcome to do so. As always come find me on Twitter via the widget here or @Blog_SDP where you can get immediate updates on blog posts and general updates from me.

Until next time,
Stay Creative.




No comments:

Post a Comment