Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Manic Panic Semi Permanent Hair Color Review, Tips and Tricks


Purple Haze by MP




Fuschia Shock by MP
Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Color...one of my favorite things to talk about. You'll see four pictures floating around this post of me, *gasp* with some different variations of Manic Panic colors I've used. I've used quite a few more, but sadly don't have photos of them all, I'm camera shy unless I'm the one taking the photos. I'll leave a list of colors I've used and loved at the end of the post. This isn't going to touch on anything else that MP does, it's just about hair color. 

What is Manic Panic Semi Permanent Hair Color? MP is a vegetable based, conditioning hair color that is Vegan friendly and PPD Free. The companies tag line is actually, "Tested on Celebrities, Not Animals", as an animal lover I can get behind that. If you're looking for vibrant, every color of the rainbow kind of hair color, MP has you covered. 

I'm going to touch on the negatives of this product first to get them out of the way. But some of these can be avoided, are tolerable and I do have some tips for. I'm going to toss a ton of information at you. Please keep in mind this is just my opinion and things I've found through research and trial and error.  

Firstly, it is "Semi-Permanent" which means the color is going to fade as you get your hair wet or wash it. Certain colors do bleed onto your face, towels and your pillow cases, some are worse than others. If you want vibrant color, you HAVE to and I stress HAVE to bleach your hair. You're not going to achieve color payoff by applying this hair color onto brown or any type dark hair. The hair color can give hues of color on dark hair in bright lighting, but that's about it. If you're naturally blond, you may be able to get away with not pre-treating your hair, but it's a big maybe. And the last thing I can think of is the price. The original formula of MP ranges from 9.99USD to 13.99USD in store and on MP's official site. The Amplified version ranges from 12.99USD to 17.99USD in store or on MP's official site. You do get quite a bit of product, but if you have long thick hair, you're going to need more than one tub or bottle, depending on the formula you buy. 

Seems like quite a lot of cons, but I've used MP hair color for nearly 13 years, no joke and I've found some ways to combat some of these issues. 
Addressing the fact that the color IS going to fade in time, there's no getting away from that, but you can prolong the vibrancy of the color by doing these few things. I've had color last 8 weeks or more with only touching up my roots by doing these things.

1- Since I've already mentioned that if you want vibrant color you're going to need to lighten your hair for best results, either at home or have it done by a professional. Don't wash your hair everyday. It's not good for it anyway. Opt for dry shampoos to free your hair of oils and standard yuck. When you do wash your hair, use the coolest water you can tolerate. Heat opens up the hair shaft, which releases hair color.

2- Avoid alcohol and sulfate products. Alcohol and sulfates strip color from your hair when you wash or style. It's especially important with vegetable based hair color.
  
3- Do you're best to avoid "Heat" styling your hair. That includes blow dryers. I know this one is hard, but if you can get away with not using heat to style your hair, then do it. Of course if you do use heat tools, make sure you use a heat protecting product. Again heat will bring slow death to vibrant color. 

4- Add a little bit of the hair color to your bottle of conditioner. That way when you do end up washing your hair, when you condition it you're depositing some of the color back into the hair. It's one of the reasons why I love MP or any conditioning hair color, you can mix it with your regular conditioner and do many things. 

5- During the color process, once you have your hair all coated with goop, use a shower cap and apply heat continuously or periodically throughout development. MP is a conditioning hair color and its safe to apply heat to it while it sits on your hair. Sometimes just a shower cap to lock in the heat that escapes your head is enough to help, but add a little extra with a few minutes here and there with a blow dryer really helps deposit the color. Also you can leave the product in longer than the advised time, I normally leave mine in for an hour or more.

6- Last one for vibrancy...STAY OUT OF CHLORINATED POOLS. I don't mean don't go swimming at all, but DO NOT get your hair wet or say good bye to your vibrant hair. Highly chlorinated water will strip all the color out of your hair. I made this mistake 4 times, only once was on purpose. Buy a swim cap to protect your hair or just don't get your hair wet if you're going to be in chemically treated pools. 

Quick Tip- Pay attention to your hair. I've literally colored my hair every color of the rainbow and did the rainbow in my hair. Certain colors stick to my hair like glue and are murder trying to get out, while other colors fade like lightning no matter what I do. Everyone's chemistry is different and that has a factor when it comes to using any type of hair color.

Hair color bleeding? Not much you can do about it, accept avoid the colors that bleed the most, which unfortunately are anything red based, so all reds, pinks and some purples. If you're like me and love having your hair these colors, invest in dark color pillow cases and be prepared for there to be transfer on your face. If you have white bath towels, bleaching them in the wash will 9 times about of 10 get rid of any stains. If you're really worried about it, use only dark colored towels or ones you really don't care if there's some stains on them. As for face transfer? You're daily facial cleanser should remove it without a problem.

Price..oh boy the price. There is a little bit of difference in cost between to two formulas, for the same amount of product. In comparison to other brands the cost is pretty much even. I've used other vegetable based demi/semi permanent colors and they all do pretty much the same thing, I've just had the most success with MP which is why I recommend it.
MP's original formula has more color options and I've had the color last with no issues. The amplified formula does fade less quickly than the original, but not by much, since I pretty much follow all the tips I've shared here. Though the Atomic Turquoise amplified version is superior to its classic formula, which is the only particular color that I've noticed a huge difference in color pay off, but blue tends to not like to attach itself to my hair. So that's also something to consider, again pay attention to your hair.

And just another little tip, because MP hair color is a conditioning hair color, you can mix them to create custom colors, or even dilute them down with your regular conditioner to make a toned down or even pastel colors. It's another good way to make your own hair toner if you want to be super blond but your hair brasses out. Basic color wheel knowledge and 1 part color to 3 parts conditioner and you have you're toner.

List of My Favorite MP Colors

Fuschia Shock
Raven
Atomic Turquoise (Amplified Formula)
Electric Banana
Electric Lizard
Vampire Red
Ultra Violet (Amplified Formula)
Purple Haze
Cotton Candy Pink (Amplified Formula)

Until Next Time.
Stay Creative.




No comments:

Post a Comment